Note: We've created these tips based on our own shopping experience and research. These may not be applicable if you're outside of Singapore.
- Shop during an Amazon Sale. The most popular sale event is the Amazon Black Friday.
- To avoid paying for shipping, take advantage of Amazon free shipping to Singapore on eligible items.
- Know the prohibited goods when shipping to Singapore. Check out this list – Prohibited Items
- Only buy from well-established Amazon merchants. In our opinion, they should have over 100 customer ratings and at least 85% positive feedbacks. This will ensure good quality products and lower the possibility of returning items.
- When using a freight forwarder, always advise Amazon merchants to pack the item/s in the smallest box possible to reduce shipping cost.
- Freight forwarders usually offer credit card promos. Be sure to always check if you’re eligible for any promos to get shipping discounts.
- Buying a product on Amazon + shipping costs is usually cheaper than buying the same product from local Singapore retailers.
- If using a freight forwarder, try to consolidate your packages into a single shipment to avoid multiple base cost charges. Some forwarders will allow you to store packages for free up to 30 days.
- 7% Import tax (GST) is imposed by Singapore Customs whenever a package value exceed S$400. A good way to get around this is to split Amazon orders into multiple packages going to your Singapore address.
- Be wary of shipping dense items such as books, lotion, shampoo etc.. These items could weigh a lot and may result high shipping charges.
- If your credit card is not accepted by Amazon, you can make use of services such as comGateway’s Buy4me and vPost’s vShop4U.
- If you’re buying household appliances from Amazon US, they usually support only 110 – 120V. Here in Singapore, appliances are usually 220 – 240V. If your house doesn’t have built-in power oulets for 120V, you can use a step down transformer or buy a completely different product instead.
- Freight forwarders usually offer repacking of items if the actual weight and volumetric weight difference is above 2kg. Repacking should reduce shipping cost.
- Don’t hesitate to contact Amazon customer service if you have any concerns or problems with its web sites.
- Most of all, learn everything about Amazon shopping to prevent any issues and get the most out of your savings!
You Might Also Like: